In preparation for the holiday season I am playing around with yams, pumpkin and butternut squash, so I came up with this savory yams with kale side dish that came out pretty good.
- 3 to 4 yams, chopped into chunky bites (leave skin on) – you can use sweet potatoes as well
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1 to 2 cups chopped fresh kale (you can buy frozen as well)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Irish Garlic Salt or sea salt, pepper, garlic and parsley to taste
Note: I buy the Irish Garlic Salt from a gal who makes it locally and it’s amazing! It has sea salt, lots of garlic, parsley and other spices. I use it on potatoes, beef, chicken and so much more!
- Heat oven to 400.
- Add the chopped yams, olive oil/grape seed oil, chopped onions, cranberries and spices and stir.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes. Take out half way to stir and see if you need more oil.
- Goes great with beef, chicken or pork!