Easter weekend I went with my family to Angels Camp and we stayed at the Wyndam condos. I was responsible for making dinner one night. I brought my crockpot and was able to do my prep work in the morning and let it cook all day while we were out having fun at Big Trees. My soup was a big hit! I also made mini sliders with Hawaiian rolls along with a strawberry and blueberry mixed green salad. I have posted the salad recipe separately.
This recipe makes up to 10-12 ramekins!
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped into thin strips
- 3 to 4 (32 oz.) cartons of beef broth
- fresh thyme for soup and croutons (1 container)
- 1/4 cup of Cognac (you can use dry sherry as well)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite stout beer
- 6 to 8 tablespoons of butter
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 large slices of gruyere cheese per ramekin (2 packages)
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of flour
- Place butter in large skillet with the onion strips and cook on medium heat. Add fresh thyme and the stout beer. Cook until translucent. The onions should have a bit of sauce to it from the beer and butter. You will need it because once you add the flour it will thicken. Slowly add the flour while stirring. Take off heat and set aside.
- In a crockpot add the beef broth, Cognac, more fresh thyme, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and salt/pepper. Then add the onions and stir everything together before putting the lid on.
- Cook 8 to 10 hours.
- Pour soup into large ramekins and place on a cooking sheet.
- Add homemade croutons as well as 2 to 3 slices of gruyere cheese to each ramekin (see crouton recipe below).
- Place in oven and broil on high for approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley as a garnish.
Homemade Croutons Recipe
- Get 1 to 2 large loafs of sourdough bread and cut into large pieces.
- Place cut pieces into a large bowl.
- Melt 1 to 2 sticks of butter and mix with the cut pieces of bread with a wooden spoon.
- Drizzle your favorite olive oil over to help coat the bread as well. I like to use both butter and olive oil because it gives a better flavor.
- Add fresh or dried thyme and mix. Parmesan cheese would be good as well.
- Place on a cooking sheet at 400 and monitor until it looks crispy. It takes approximately 15 minutes.