Over the years I have made many variations of lasagna, but in light of trying to be healthy I came up with this low-carb lasagna that still has a lot of flavor. If you are not an eggplant fan, feel free to use zucchini or squash. You could also add them all if you wanted to. Experiment to see what you might like best.
- 1 package lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 medium size red bell pepper
- 15 oz. low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 29 oz. can of tomato sauce or tomato puree
1) Clean eggplant and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick; pat slices with a paper towel to remove moisture; brush a small amount of olive oil on both sides of the eggplant slices; grill both sides until tender (use BBQ or grill pan on stove); remove and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
2) Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat.
3) Add tomato sauce or puree to meat mixture along with all the spices and garlic; simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4) Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with the meat sauce mixture; layer the eggplant, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and meat sauce (approximately 2 layers); top with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and red bell pepper slices for garnish.
5) Heat oven to 375 and bake for 35-40 minutes.