Coconut Cake is so good, so just think how good White Chocolate Coconut Cake will be! This is a great recipe for the holidays because it looks like winter. You can always dress up the cake to make it more festive.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size) See homemade white cake below if you would rather make from scratch
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, 3/4 cup cream of coconut and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, chips, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons heavy cream and remaining cream of coconut; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1-1/2 cups coconut and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate until mixture reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Homemade White Cake Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk, room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray or coated well with shortening or butter and floured, taking care to remove all excess flour.
- Cream together butter and shortening until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Slowly add sugar one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour milks and vanilla into measuring cup and whisk together with a fork. Add to butter and shortening mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Gently stir all ingredients until well combined. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, making sure to have all ingredients mixed well.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between cake pans and place pans into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost cake as desired.