Shepard’s Pie is one of those yummy comfort foods that are good any time of year! I made this one with more of an Italian flare, and my husband says this one is the best one I have made to-date.
Who doesn’t like cheesy mashed potatoes with beef? You can make it in an iron skillet or any other type of skillet that can go in the oven. You can also use a pie dish if it’s big enough.
- 2 – 16 oz. packages grass fed organic lean ground beef
- 1/4 bag of frozen peas
- 1/4 bag of frozen corn
- 2 – 14.5 oz. cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 small package cherry or grape tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- red chili flakes to taste (optional)
- splash of your favorite red wine (optional)
- 4 to 6 large russet potatoes
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 stick of butter (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, cut them in half, and then boil them until soft. When potatoes are done, drain and use a potato masher to mash them. While the potatoes are still hot, add the cheddar cheese, mile and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste as well and set aside.
- Heat over to 350.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in your skillet, and then add the onions and garlic. Cook at medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the beef and cook until meat looks cooked enough to add the other ingredients.
- If you are using fresh cherry or grape tomatoes, cut them in half and add them in.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and all the spices. Also add the wine at this time if you plan on adding it.
- Cook on the stove top for about 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture in the skillet and smooth over with a large wooden spoon so that the top is flat.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 40 to 50 minutes. You might want to place a baking sheet below or some foil because the sauce from the meat may spill over.
- Once you pull it out of the oven let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Easy Shepard’s Pie Recipe
1/4 bag frozen peas,
2 – 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes,
1 small can of tomato paste,
2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning,
1 small package of cherry or grape tomatoes (optional)
2 to 3 cloves garlic
4 to 6 large russet potatoes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick of butter (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
red chili flakes to taste (optional)