I have been wanting to make Limocello for awhile now, and finally decided to make it this year as Christmas gifts. I made several batches until I came up with the one I liked the most and thought I would share my recipe with you. I personally like the Creamy Limocello version much better. Make sure you have some time when you decide you want to make it.
- 12 lemons
- one 750 ml bottle of your favorite vodka or everclear
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can use a potato peeler or paring knife to peel the lemon, but I found that a paring knife is easier. Try both to see which one you like the best. Some people use a zester as well.
- Peel all 12 lemons and try to use the knife to remove as much of the pith (white part of the lemon peel) as you can.
- Place the peels in a large canning jar or ice tea container that has a lid on it.
- Pour the vodka or everclear in the jar and close the lid tightly.
- Place in a dark spot for 5 to 6 days.
- Heat milk and sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until the mixture because a syrup (approximately 5 to 10 minutes).
- Let the syrup cool down to room temperature the pour the mixture into the same jar as the peels and vodka or everclear. Stir the mixture together and then close the lid.
- Place in a dark place again for approximately 1 to 2 days and then pour into your favorite container(s).
- Because this recipe has milk in it, make sure you place in the refrigerator afterwards.
If you like Lemon Drop cocktails, you will love this. This is best served with chilled glasses (shot glasses or small that liqueur glasses). Garnish with fresh or candied lemons.
See my Limoncello Cake recipe as well.