Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my husbands favorites, and since it was a gloomy Sunday yesterday I decided I would make it. Nothing better than comfort food in the winter!
If you want the soup to be more low fat, just don’t put the fixings on top (tortilla chips, cheese, avocado, sour cream)! In this picture I did add plain Greek yogurt to my soup which tones down how spiciness of the soup.
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||30 Minutes|
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno, sliced or chopped
- 1 red fresno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 red bell pepper, cut into long thin slices
- 1/2 package Frozen Corn
- 1 small can black beans, drained
- 1 28 oz. can hot enchilada sauce You can use regular enchilada sauce to make it less spicy
- 1 48 oz. carton low sodium chicken broth If you like to make bone broth this is a good time to use it
- 1 roasted chicken, shredded You can roast the chicken yourself or buy one if you don't have time
- 2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder You can use regular chili powder if you don't have Ancho chili
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finley chopped
- 1 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano You can you fresh if you have it
- 1 teaspoon cayanne pepper Optional
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions, garlic, jalapenos and red Fresno peppers. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the enchilada sauce, chicken broth and crushed tomatoes first, then add all the other ingredients.
- Simmer on low for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve soup with tortilla strips or chips, shredded cheese and/or avocado. You can also add plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
I added plain Greek yogurt to mine and it helps with the spiciness of the soup and is healthier than sour cream.
Share this Recipe