It’s that time of year for fall cooking! Yesterday it was overcast and cool most of the day, and I was craving soup. In looking at what I had in my kitchen, I decided to make Tortellini Soup which I love. I never met a soup I didn’t like though. Soups are comfort food to me, and they are easy to make.
I always have white cannellini beans on hand which is a staple for Italian soups, and I use them often. Of course, it’s hard to see from the pictures that they are in the soup.
I did not have carrots in the frig, but that is something I normally would put in this soup. It tastes just as good without them, but if you had them I would definitely add them. The great thing about soups, is that you can almost throw anything in a soup, and it will taste good.
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20-30 Minutes|
- 1 package cheese tortellini You can choose any tortellini for this soup and it will taste great!
- 1 1/2 cartons chicken or veggie broth (low sodium)
- 2 small cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme chopped
- 1 small can white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 to 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning Optional
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the chopped onions and minced garlic on medium heat with a very small amount of olive oil.
- Add the zucchini and herbs, then cook for approximately 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes and white cannellini beans and the rest of the spices and stir.
- Add the tortellini and kale and cook at low heat covered for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese on top!