This is one of my favorite salads for spring and summer! Any type of berries would be great in this salad. I used poppy seed dressing, but I have also made a strawberry balsamic dressing with this that is very good as well.
I made this salad at Easter and served it with French onion soup and sliders. We didn’t have many bowls in the condo we were staying at, so the salad doesn’t look at pretty as it normally would in a beautiful dish.
- 2 packages of mixed greens
- 1 package of strawberries, sliced
- 1 package blueberries
- 1 small package of feta cheese (or blue cheese would be great with this too)
- 2 to 3 cups candied pecans (see how to make candied pecans below)
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped
- 1 bottle of poppy seed dressing or other balsamic type of dressing (I make this sometimes with strawberry syrup, EVOO and balsamic)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions for Pecans:
- To make the candied pecans, set a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar. Once it has melted, toss in the pecans and continue to toss to coat and cook evenly, about 1 minute. Transfer to a sheet tray lined with waxed paper. Make sure you separate with a fork so that they don’t stick together before they cool. Set aside and prepare the salad.